* bees are commonly found in the UK.
* The queens hibernate during the winter, in buildings or under the bark of trees.
* In spring the queens look for nesting sites such a hole in the ground, a hollow tree or in spaces within the eaves of a building, lofts, attics and garden sheds, etc.
* The queen will build her nest with a papery material that she makes by chewing small pieces of wood mixed with saliva.
* In the nest she will raise a few workers and these will start to enlarge the nest and help to rear the next generation of bees. Nest construction starts in earnest in June and will usually reach it's maximum in size in September.
* Worker bees will look for food up to 400 metres from the nest. Workers feed mainly on sugary materials such as nectar.
* The size of bees colonies will vary from year to year, but at its maximum nests may contain between 5 - 10,000 wasps.
* In the Autumn, the young queens mate and leave the nest to hibernate.
Individuals react differently to being stung by bees; some are hardly affected, others suffer considerable pain and swelling. A few people are seriously allergic to bee stings and in some cases it can result in sudden death due to anaphylactic shock.
The pain of the bee sting is caused by a toxic fluid containing a complex protein, which is injected through the needle like sting as it penetrates the victim.
* If it is not possible to leave a bees nest, the most effective strategy is to locate and destroy the nest.
* If you decide to destroy the nest yourself, treatment should be carried out early or late in the day when bee activity is at a minimum. Most hardware shops and garden centres will sell insecticidal sprays and powders for the treatment of bees, but care must be taken to follow the instructions on the label.
* Most importantly if you decide to treat for bees yourself make sure that you are well protected against bee stings and have safe access to and from the nest location.
*number 1 pest control would use Insecticides to cover the entrance to the nest so that returning bees will carry it into the heart of the nest. Within a few hours all bees should be dead.
Number 1 Pest Control aim to sort your pest problems weather they be rats/ mice/ squirrels/ rabbits/ pigeons/ foxs/ wasps/ bees. In West Sussex, Surrey and East Sussex